Panasonic DMR-ES46V Error U61

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
jobrux
Panasonic DMR-ES46V Error U61

Transferring old family videos to DVD.  After about 64 successful video transfers, DVD recorder is stuck. It gives error message U61.  Unit was purchased Christmas 2007 and is now January 2008 (13 months).  Has otherwise performed very well.  Based on varous info on various postings, I read about the same situation described by another person.  The solution was to open up the DVD case by removing the top cover.  The previous individual indicated that the optical read head was stuck.  So, individual had moved it (by pushing it with finger)  towards back of unit in  'home' position.   This had remedied the problem.  I went through these steps, and sure enough, my read head appears to be stuck.  I pushed it to back of unit, put back together and unfortunately, this did not fix problem.  Next I used Qtip and carefully applied sewing machine oil to two guide rails on either side of optical read head.  I also worked it back and forth a few times.  This seemed to loosen it up.  However, this did not fix the problem.  I also tried putting in disk and trying to get the unit to read the disk, turning machine on and off (can power down by pressing and holding power button).  I can get disk tray to open and close (i.e. eject disk), but cannot get past U61 error.  Other people have reported this same problem, and as far as I can tell, have mostly been unable to recover from this problem.  I will attempt to upload picture of DVD with top of case removed, and labeled.

1. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

2. Has anyone got a service manual for the Panasonic DMR-ES46V?

Photo caption: A - lateral moving plastic device with white plastic cylindar on top that fits into track on
underneath side of dvd top case. This is the position is with tray in.
B1 -  left hand rail guide.  I carefully oiled this.
B2  - right hand rail guide.  I carefully oiled this.
C optical read head, I moved in direction of arrow per internet adviceDVD unit with top case removedDVD record with top of case removed

jobrux
Evidently, my effort at

Evidently, my effort at inserting the image failed.  The URL for the image is as follows:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94287297@N00/2224974642/

tapaccountsonly
I have the manual, but the

I have the manual, but the text next to the U61 error message in the troubleshooting section says

danzil
I am having the same U61

I am having the same U61 error code all of a sudden. Minds started when I used a Gigawre Blank DVD to record. Not the unit will not read any disc it only makes a strange 4 beep sound and cuts off after showing U61. I there a solution to fixing this? Cutting off and on does not help.

jobrux
All I can say is that I gave

All I can say is that I gave up on this device. I think there was a physical problem with the moveable head inside the machine. I was never able to acquire a technical manual or anything to help me. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

PeaPod
Notice that the optical head

Notice that the optical head transport has a guide off to the left of it. This guide must be positioned so that it runs in the track that is attached to the DVD drive cover. When puting the cover back on make sure the track and guide are engaged.

rizky
Judging from the recent posts

Judging from the recent posts. I will include myself in the Error U61. It may be some sort of self destruct to get us all to toss out our old Panny's and buy some new overpriced models. Does anyone have a link for the ES46V firmware? and do you put it on a CD or DVD to use it? I wonder if Sam's club will take it back after 4 years??....;-)

jimret7
Same problem with head . I

Same problem with head . I tried spindle cleaning too. It appears that moving head bumps against spindle three times then door opens and error message

Connect With Techlore