38 hdtv tube no vid/aud yet power

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
cgillmor
38 hdtv tube no vid/aud yet power

i have a rca 38 inch widescreen tube hdtv. It's connected to the same surge protector as my dvd player and vcr which still work fine. The power indicator still works on the tv but no video nor audio appears to be working. When I turn off the surge protector the tv makes that electronic sound where you know the power is leaving??? uh... Anyways when I turn the surge protector back on I hear that same sound and you know the tv should work but when I turn on the tv the result is the same. No image. No sound. It stopped working last night. I put on a channel which gave out video and audio then 5 minutes later the tv shut off. Less than a minute later I turned the tv back on with the remote. And it worked fine again, video, audio, Then less than 5 minutes later it turned off again. The light that indicates the power is on was off. Ever since then I can get that little green light to turn on but there is no :power on- electronic bing sound" or whatever you call it to indicate anything happening. The dvd player and vcr work fine. Could the tube have burned out? I dont really know much about this but i know I've never seen this happen before and I hope there's a tech-solution to this that won't cost a thousand dollars. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! I'll be checking the site daily or email me with any further questions. But it sounds like an electronics failure that involves getting into the heart of the machine.

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
If I had to guess based on

If I had to guess based on the description, it sounds like something on the main board blew. I suppose it "could" be the tube itself, but I'm leaning more toward an electronic failure on this one. If it was the tube, it probably wouldn't have worked for those 5 minutes.

Remotely diagnosing product failures is near impossible. You'll need to contact and RCA servicer to get it diagnosed. Getting the quote will not cost you thousands of dollars. And, if you are told it will cost thousands to fix, you can opt to get rid of it and buy a new TV. It's as simple as that.

Click here to find a local authorized servicer in your area.

cgillmor
awesome. Thanks for the

awesome. Thanks for the advice. I went to the site to locate a service station and amazingly it said no stores were within 10 miles. So i set it for 100 miles and it gave the same result. You think it's possible that there couldn't be a location with 100 miles of cleveland??? weird... and depressing

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
I'm sure that Cleveland has

I'm sure that Cleveland has plenty of authorized servicers. Their locator tool must not be working properly. You should find an 800 number in your user manual. Call it, and they should be able to tell you over the phone. If you bought it from a local retailer like Best Buy or Circuit City, they'll be able to service you.

Connect With Techlore