Toshiba 57H81 Flashing Red Power Light, No Picture/Sound, Blown Fuses F850 + F852

77 posts / 0 new
Last post
TommyTester
Toshiba 57H81 Flashing Red Power Light, No Picture/Sound, Blown Fuses F850 + F852

Toshiba Model 57H81 Rear Projection TV - Purchased 11-09-2001

Problem: Toshiba 57H81 Flashing Red Power Light, No Picture/Sound, Blown Fuses F850 + F852

Symptoms January, 2009: 

• Upon turning on set I got flashing red power light and nothing else. 
  • Removing plug for one minute and plugging in results in:
    • Audible click, steady red power light for 2 seconds then slow flashing red light
    • Pushing power button results in steady red for about 2 seconds then slow flashing red light, no other set activity
  • Removing power cord for several hours and plugging back in made no change
    • Audible click, steady red for about 2 seconds then slow flashing red light
  • Possible related note:  Over past several months occasionally the entire screen would flicker momentarily and at other times be problem free for weeks.
  • Fuses F850 and F852 found blown

Repairs Made:

• PD0074 DEF/CON Power Board
    • There are two main power supply capacitors in this set.  They are C-809 and C-810.  One their negative lead on the printed circuit board re-soldered leads and nearby contacts.  I’m told that because the factory left out a printed circuit board eyelet, the connection will come loose over time.  When I called Toshiba customer service they said there was a known solder joint problem causing blinking red light.
    • Replaced blown fuses F850 and F852.
      • I actually installed a fuse panel on the inside of the cabinet and routed the fuse connections here instead of ordering the special fuses and replacing them on the circuit board.
      • Had to use a 5 Amp SLO-BLOW for F850. Fast blow does not survive power up. Get the red blinking light.
      • Used a fast blow 2 Amp for F852.
  • PD0073 SIGNAL Board
    • Re-soldered Q751 + Q752 STK392-110 Convergence Amps
    • Re-soldered adjacent pads that looks suspicious

Total Cost to Repair about $10

• Twelve hours of my time over three days to research issue, disassemble set, make repairs, add fuse panel.
  • Already owned Service Manual and Circuit diagrams from a different 2004 repair.
  • Less than ten dollars at Radio Shack for fuses and fuse panel. Already had wires, etc.
  • Some solder. Already owned de-soldering tools, etc.
  • Visited both local authorized Toshiba factory service repair facilities.  One said repair would have to include replacing Q751 + Q752 STK392-110 Convergence Amps with ST392-180, and realigning set for a total of $500+ and it would be more if they had to order a power board. NO THANK YOU!  Other shop said $65 for site visit and $30 to make an estimate that could be applied to repair.

HISTORY + RESEARCH

• Could not have done this without the wonderful internet and various forums and blogs.
  • I did locate a link to what I believe is the Toshiba Service Bulletin but I could not access it without a Toshiba tech ID/PASSWORD.  Did not find the Service Bulletin  posted online; that surprised me.  Here is what I believe to be the Service Bulletin link.
  • I have an Electrical Engineering degree but have really been an IT person the last 25+ years. However the training and past experience from the 70s helped me out.
  • Previous Repair December, 2004 – So I had already torn the set apart once
    • Symptom: was intermittent ghosting in only a few video modes
    • Solution: Replaced TA1316AN  Signal/Sync Processor(Q510) on PD0073 Signal Board
    • Set professionally converged and color set by certified technician
  • Summary of reading all the FORUMS and BLOGS Google could find
    • MOST posts suggested the problem is caused by faulty Q751 / Q752 STK392-110 convergence amplifiers.  This wasn’t my problem.
      • These posts typically say to also check your low ohm resisters associated with the amps.
      • Seems to be some controversy whether to replace the STK392-110 with STK392-180.  They from who – SANYO?  One Toshiba repair shop does this. The other one says you must use the original Toshiba STK392-110. Who is right? I didn’t need to make the decision but I did a lot of research and was leaning towards authentic SANYO parts or the Toshiba  STK392-110 from www.partstore.com but these were about $40 EACH.
    • The most helpful posts were those that pointed me towards re-soldering a number of connections.  Since I re-soldered connections on BOTH the PD0073 Signal Board and the PD0074 DEF/CON power board I don’t know for certain which board had the fault – sorry but I am happy with the result!
    • Cold Solder Joint helpful forum / blog entries
      • Very common problem. There is a Toshiba service bulletin out on this. Look for F860, if it is blown, do not replace it till you pull out the chassis and look in the main power supply for the two large capacitors, C809 and C810. They may have bad connections on the negative connections due to the printed circuit board eyelet being left out of the set. I have repaired many of these sets and once after another tech wanted to charge the customer 600 bucks! Just be very careful when working on this TV set. Good Luck
      • Found problem to be blown fuses on the power board caused by bad solder connections.  Re-soldered the bad connections and replaced fuses F850, F851, and F852.  Think it was links 010 and 050 – found the bad connection by tracing back from the blown fuses and checking each joint.
      • If fuse F850, F851, or F852 are blown check the following:  Check jumpers 010 and 050 for bad solder connections.  They are located near the left edge of the signal PCB near the convergence amps.  Check the connections on either side of the wire under or along the edge of the chassis frame.  I was faced with this problem and Toshiba recommended this fix and I did find bad connections and I haven’t had the set back again.
      • I found 3 open fuses in power supply caused by a bad connection at Jumper 010 in front of the L7711 in front of the convergence ICs.  Also check all other jumpers in the area.  The fuses F850 are 5 amp part #23144842 and F852 is a 2 Amp #23144841.  (NOTE: I substituted a SLO-BLOW 5 amp fuse for F850 and a fast blow 2 amp for F852).
      • Toshiba 53H71.  Had a convergence problem about ten months ago and replaced the Q751/Q752 (STK392-110) convergence ICs and tv worked fine.  Now customer called and tv is dead. I went there and found that F850, F851, and F852 were bad. Replaced them and they blew again.  Then found that one of the new STK392-110 had pin 8 shorted to ground.  The fix I got was “re-solder jumper wire L7711”, on my set jumper above L7711 was the bad one. Replaced the three fuses and set is still running fine.
      • As for fuse F850 blowing check jumper 010 and 050 loose or broken.
      • This one came in with fuses F851 & F852 on the convergence output supplies blown. Found a bad connection on the black jumper near BB20, the white connector between the deflection board and signal board.
    • Bad STK392-110 Convergence IC  helpful forum / blog entries
      • Most forums are dominated by replacement of these Q750/Q751 amps.  Indeed their failure for convergence seems to be rather common.
      • However the amps on my 57H81 that I’ve had since 2001 are still working OK.
      • It does appear from the blogs that a defective STK392-110 may cause the power supply fuse failures.
      • It would be most helpful if someone could post the Toshiba service bulletin - http://www.tacpservice.toshiba.com/TACP/training/module1/Mod1sg1.html
      • It does appear that you need to be careful in purchasing quality STK392 parts if you have to go that way.  You can get the real deal from www.partstore.com
    • Hope this helps. My fixed TV has been working for five hours now.  About the watch the Colts playoff game!  Good luck.
discodash
The jumpers on my board are

The jumpers on my board are not numbered is a picture available to show the location of jumper 010?

Steve T
The advice was awesome. I had

The advice was awesome. I had the same problem. I found the fuses, verified that they were blown and added new fuses from Frys (also off the board with a couple of fuse holders.) Thanks to Tommy's detailed advice it took me about one hour and cost me $9. Thanks Tommy!!

TommyTester
Glad it worked out for you.

Glad it worked out for you. Mine is still working! :-)

Simon XTP
Dear Tommy, I read about your

Dear Tommy, I read about your repair, I think I have the same problem blak screen and flashing red light

By any chance do you have any picture that will help me to localize the parts that you refer to in your solution ??? 

Regards

Simon 

• PD0074 DEF/CON Power Board
    • There are two main power supply capacitors in this set.  They are C-809 and C-810.  One their negative lead on the printed circuit board re-soldered leads and nearby contacts.  I’m told that because the factory left out a printed circuit board eyelet, the connection will come loose over time.  When I called Toshiba customer service they said there was a known solder joint problem causing blinking red light.
    • Replaced blown fuses F850 and F852.
      • I actually installed a fuse panel on the inside of the cabinet and routed the fuse connections here instead of ordering the special fuses and replacing them on the circuit board.
      • Had to use a 5 Amp SLO-BLOW for F850. Fast blow does not survive power up. Get the red blinking light.
      • Used a fast blow 2 Amp for F852.
  • PD0073 SIGNAL Board
    • Re-soldered Q751 + Q752 STK392-110 Convergence Amps
    • Re-soldered adjacent pads that looks suspicious
TommyTester
If you can get me an email

If you can get me an email address I can email you the service manual. It has the board layouts and parts ID

chuky151
jrh at binarydesigninc dot

jrh at binarydesigninc dot com

Tommy Tester, would you be willing to send the manual to me as well. My TV just started exhibiting the behaviors described above and $10 sounds much better than the replacement cost.

Thanks,

James

TommyTester
Simon + James: Check your

Simon + James: Check your email. Good luck. My set it still working. Tom

JediJoel
Came across the same problem

Came across the same problem and noticed the thread was kind of recent. Would you mind send the service manual as well? Thanks.

jedijoel at gmail

broken35
Hey Tommie, I was wondring if

Hey Tommie, I was wondring if you can email me the service manual for the 57h81!! Ifound a free tv and wanted to do the repairs my self! Just can find all the fuses i am looking for! Thanx if you can help!! [email protected]

TommyTester
[email protected];

[email protected]; [email protected]

please check your email... good luck

one file was 10MB, hope your email service accepted it

tvfixxer
Tommie Could you send me copy

Tommie Could you send me copy of the 57h81 service too?

Thanks

[email protected]

marino
This must be getting old for

This must be getting old for you tommy Could you please forward a copy to me too?

[email protected]

JediJoel
I got you Marino. There are

I got you Marino. There are 3 messages one is 10mb but gmail should handle it. Share the love, right!

cowboyup2332
I have a 65H81 and the same

I have a 65H81 and the same problem with the blinking red light listed above. Would your manual that you have be of use to me? If so can you send it to my email address cowboyup2332@yahoo ? Thanks!

theotherdave
Hey,I'm struggling with the

Hey,I'm struggling with the same flashing red light and trying to fix it myself. Would you mind sending another manual for the 57H81?

Thanks,
Dave
[email protected]

theotherdave
Any thoughts on blown fuses

Any thoughts on blown fuses or loose connections? I have checked them while on the board and they don't appear to be blown. Probably I have the loose connection problems, but I have already tried to resolder 809 and 810 with no change. Still getting the flashing red light.

TommyTester
Dave,

Dave,
I have emailed you the files. Good luck.
Tom

collija
I have a blinking red light

I have a blinking red light on a Toshiba 50hpx95.. Would this be the same issue, fuses etc???

If so could you also email me the guide to [email protected]

TommyTester
I don't know about the

I don't know about the 50hpx95. Would suggest you call Toshiba's 800# and see if this 50hpx95 has a known service bulletin on it like my set has.

My documents won't help you unless you have the same power supply board as mine. That being said I will send you what I have but they might not help you.

Tom

rjp
I have the same blinking

I have the same blinking power light on my 57h81,have not opened up tv yet but being a petroleum tech. I sure with these insturctions I can fix the problem It would be great if you could send me the service manual it would be greatly appreciated [email protected]

TommyTester
rjp - good luck, check your

rjp - good luck, check your email. Just sent it. Please post your success, or not.

rjp
replaced fuse f850 only one

replaced fuse f850 only one that was blown TV worked for 1/2 hour than blow out fuse and keeps blowing it out. Just need to do my homework thanks for all the information I will let you know when i seccede

will free
have not opened up the tv yet

have not opened up the tv yet, was wondering if u could send the repair manual and hope it has illustrations, im not good these things....thank u

TommyTester
will free - This job is not

will free - This job is not for the faint of heart. I am a retired Electrical Engineer. There is not repair manual. I respectively submit that this job may beyond what you should attempt and could also be risky around the high voltage sections. There is no Repair Manual. Please be careful. Tommy

BrokenBob
I would really appreciated it

I would really appreciated it if you could send me a copy of the repair manual.

thanks
Bob

ps. great post

B8noir
Tommy:

Tommy:

I stumbled across this page and it is my problem exactly. I would love to try a resoldering job-would you be able to send me the mentioned 10 mB Toshiba 57H81 file (wiring diagram and or tech manual)

Thanks

Brent ([email protected])

B8noir
Oh-while looking over the

Oh-while looking over the thread- did anybody get a copy of the official Toshiba service bulletin (link posted looked to be for professionals only). This is for the slow blinking red light on a Toshiba 57H80 projection TV

Brent (viersbd..AT..hotmail.com)

DJC8000
This is a great link...Could

This is a great link...Could someone also send me the files?
donald.cavanaugh @gmail.com
I will let you know how I make out with my 65H81 with the blinking lights.
Cheers!

TommyTester
Brent & DJS8000 - I just each

Brent & DJS8000 - I just each of you 3 emails with what I have. Good luck

DJC8000
TommyTester said: Brent &

TommyTester said: Brent & DJS8000 - I just each of you 3 emails with what I have. Good luck

Hi Tommy,

I did receive the emails and thanks very much for posting this.

My 65H81 one day just stopped working with the blinking lights so I started to research on the net and came across your post.

I printed it out and decided to work on the power supply board first since the TV had worked wonderfully for 10 years. (I figured power supply first)

I checked the fuses and as you had reported they were both gone so off to Radio Shack I went. Ended up using a 5 amp slow blow 5x20 mm with in line fuse holder and 2 amp 5x20mm same setup. The radio Shack near me didn't have a fuse block so I decided to use the inline version. $12.69 total and I have extra fuses :)

Took out the PS board, resoldered some connections  (C810, C809 and other suspicious joints)and replaced the fuses. Put everything back together powered it up on 11/6 and it has been working fine ever since. I suppose if it happens again I will look to the other board as well.

Thanks again,

Don

Pages

Connect With Techlore