OUR NETWORK:Dijit Community Explore3DTV My Open Router DVRplayground MediaSmart Home See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 3732840.0
October 14, 2007 02:41 PM

Categories: Televisions and Projectors

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

amberaudrey

I just was given a Magnovox Rear projection tv.   I put it in my daughter's room, and it looks crazy.  The focus is not right, and all the colors are not blending together at all.  Can someone help?  I read an article posted about changing the fluid.  Should I do that? 

model-  fp5251g104

chasis-  ptv711ah01

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 26-50 of 79 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

August 25, 2009 10:31 PM

It is wise to change all three. If you're gonna change one or two, do all of them. Check my link above and one of my pics I show the fluids labeled by color. You'll notice even the red needed changing.

September 15, 2009 3:20 PM

Changed fluid in my LP4620 last week, spilled fluid on board soon as I started. Finished changing fluid in all three, now knowing what I do I would pull both circuit boards clear out of TV before I started. Cleaned board with contact cleaner and turned on, picture looked really good for about ten minutes, then 1500v capacitor smoked. Replaced capacitor, cleaned both boards with contact cleaner then compressed air, let dry for couple days then reinstalled. Watched three movies over 3 day period, TV looked really good, went to watch movie this morning and TV had audio but video was nothing but snow, or black and white fuzz. Its like I lost video input from dvd player. Normal on screen Magnovox menu works and I can read but its bouncing up and down. Audio and video work fine off my antenna thru coax, so I think I just lost my video input. Tried another DVD player and it done same thing have audio left and right but no video, any ideas on whats wrong or how I can test video input. This is on a Magnavox 46

View unverified member's comment - posted by beccabeque

View unverified member's comment - posted by geoscann

View unverified member's comment - posted by Tom Beard

January 26, 2010 12:24 AM

This is the best way I,ve found. It has pictures of all steps and is really detailed, and you don't have to worry about ruining your TV by getting fluid on the boards.

http://www.riddledtv.com/repair/journal/CRTCoolant/index.html

January 26, 2010 12:44 AM

I saw that site after I had already done mine. I didn't buy new washers. It's probably a good idea to. Instead of buying new washers I put some RTV silicone on the washers.

If your TV is showing signs of haze or cloudiness, I'd change all three. I've done 3 TV's now , and every time the red is discolored. Look at the pictures I posted. You can see it for yourself. The fluid is suppose to be clear.

View unverified member's comment - posted by Boomhower

January 29, 2010 10:03 AM

try adjusting the screen controls, Red bleed could be a weak tube but if the red is dominant then either tune to a black and white picture or turn the color all the way down, then adjust the screen for the red, green, blue till it has a good black and white look to it. Then turn up the color, or tune to a color picture aand test. The screen controls are located on a black or gray box you access from the back of the television on a philips. use a mirror and sit behind the tv and adjust the screen controls, the red bleed may also be an out of focus red too try adjusting the focus, all these controls total of 6 are located on the same box you will see it easly from the back mounted up high usaly.

January 29, 2010 6:38 PM

there is an article posted here on techlore to adjust this problem but he is right if the tube is weak then you may need to change the tube or perhaps the fluid is contaminated as this could cause a weak red color but you will need to look into the tube and see if the tube has things floating around inside the tube.
Larry D.

"Those who do not know their opponent's arguments, do not completely understand their own".**For complete TV repair kits including parts goto www.TvRepairKits.com

View unverified member's comment - posted by Tom Beard

January 30, 2010 9:44 AM

TUBES!!!! man it is time to move on and get a new set dude!!!!!!!!!
Larry.

"Those who do not know their opponent's arguments, do not completely understand their own".**For complete TV repair kits including parts goto www.TvRepairKits.com

January 30, 2010 9:35 PM

Yes it will cause the color to be defused and have a red cast to the screen. You know, i have been in tv repair for more years than i care to count, and we serviced Philips exclusively in our area for many years. The one thing i have never seen is the red tube develop bacteria, it has always without exception been the blue and green only. never the red. Bacteria growth in the red!?! maybe it has something to do with location we are located in Ohio. Where is this set located? It always works like in every set without exception the blue will get foggy first followed by some growth in the green, but the red never has any bacterial growth!

January 30, 2010 9:50 PM

If you are referring to the CRT coolant getting discolored in a Philips rear projection, then I've done 3 TVs and all 3 need the red needed a change. It looked like apple juice where the blue looked like dark apple cider, and green in the middle. Change the red if you are changing the other 2. The 3 I've done the image looks killer afterward.

January 30, 2010 10:55 PM

it will cause the red to look dull so you will need to turn up the turn up the color or the red screen and that would cause your problem, so The best advice I can tell you at this point is to go to TV repair kits.com and order the coolant kit for your model of TV set, click on here please: http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry

March 15, 2010 1:39 PM

I would like to thank everybody who posted info about changing the coolant fliud in projection T.V's. I changed the fluid out in my set and the unit has a picture like it did when I first purchased it. I only did the Blue & the Green CRT's. I pulled the CRTS out of the unit individualy and changed the fluid on a work bench using a brake beeding kit to remove the fluid. I didn't have to screw with the centering tabs are any input any factory code to align the convergence. May model had a multi point convergence for the blue and the red. The red worked to align the green obviously. The only thing I did wrong was turn my filler plug the wrong way; almost ruined it but, it ended up being alright. I only bought three bottles of the fliud & denatured alchohol. I didn't buy the kit. Once again Thank you!!!

March 15, 2010 2:16 PM

I would like to thank everybody who posted info about changing the coolant fliud in projection T.V's. I changed the fluid out in my set and the unit has a picture like it did when I first purchased it. I only did the Blue & the Green CRT's. I pulled the CRTS out of the unit individualy and changed the fluid on a work bench using a brake beeding kit to remove the fluid. I didn't have to screw with the centering tabs are any input any factory code to align the convergence. May model had a multi point convergence for the blue and the red. The red worked to align the green obviously. The only thing I did wrong was turn my filler plug the wrong way; almost ruined it but, it ended up being alright. I only bought three bottles of the fliud & denatured alchohol. I didn't buy the kit. Once again Thank you!!!

April 23, 2010 3:43 PM

we have 60p8241 magnavox rear projection tv the picture has always been fine untill yesterday. on the convergence screen the t's on top and bottom corners
are at 45 degree angles . the picture at bottom and top are in double vision with reds and greens. Can anyone give info on this problem?

April 23, 2010 6:53 PM

Convergence ic failure, similar to the failures from the sony televisions. They use the same ic's as the sony's and will fail much like the sony will fail. although they usually do not blow any solder in fuses, they may take out some resistors on the board though. There are two of them the part number will start with stk392- ??? if the ??? is 110 through 150 you can use stk392-180 which is a better replacement, but if the number is stk392-560 you must use that ic to fix it. They are located on two very large heat sinks the largest in the set. the number is clearly printed on the ic. Both need replaced.

April 23, 2010 6:56 PM

Is your 60p8241 a black cabinet or a silver cabinet?

April 24, 2010 3:10 AM

you should replace the fluid kit as well as the convergence ic kit.
http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/home.php?partner=larry

April 24, 2010 7:07 AM

Ok, the ic's are located on a vertically mounted board on the right side of the cabinet. You have to remove the whole assembly and remove all the wires and remove this board, (you need a 1/4 " nut driver) also on this unit there are three black round looking fuses, one of them is probably blown. Use a meter and check them.
They are held on with black spring clips, if you let them flip off you will damage the pc board badly! you must get them off easily. If you damage the pc board you will need to solder the traces next to the spring clip mount holes.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 26-50 of 79 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window