Panasonic rear projector TV problems

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
eprunier
Panasonic rear projector TV problems

Hi,  I had a problem with my pt-47wx49e and after doing some reading online, convinced mysef that it was the convergence amps.  I found Chris Palmer's article on replacing them, ordered up two STK 392-110 and gave it a shot.  Unortunately, now when I turn on the TV  it powers on, has a blue display that says video 4 and shuts right off.  I double checked my solder connections and made sure everything was plugged in the right place.  To confirm that my solder connections were ok, I checked continuity between the pins.  I found that on both amps there is continuity between pins 1 and 2.  I verified that there was no solder between the pads.  Is this normal?  Also I noted that although I ordered STK 392-110 there is another number in the upper right hand corner that is different.  Of the pieces I removed, one of them has 1216 and the other has 1228.  The parts I recieved from electonix.com both have E429. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Ed

Larry Dillon
It is very imprtant to make

It is very imprtant to make sure you do not use cheap or inexpensive replacement IC's, as I did mention in Chis's article, and believe you me, I do highly respect the man for doing this himself, as well as you taking the inititive to try and repair the TV set yourself.  If the IC's do not have the name Sanyo located on it, in big white letters, they are after market type IC's and could be part, if not your problem.  You also need to double check each and every plug for proper connection, as when you take and pull out the chassis, and replace the IC's, you may have dis-lodged a plug or two, and just a look will not conferm that.  You will need to go to each and every plug and cable and make sure it is 100% seated in it's place correctly.  These are the problems in 97% of the TV set's I have worked on after someone else has changed something. If all else fails, and you think you have everything in it's proper place, disconnect the IC's and see if the set comes on with bad convergence.  ONLY after you have double checked all of the plug connections by going to each and every one of the plugs!.  If you know how to read a service manual schematic, I do have this model in my data.  I will send you a copy if you think this will help you.  Also, check the feedback resistors R7043, R7058,R7050,R7553,R7058 andR7059, as these are the feedback resistors to the convergence amp IC's, and if these are bad and not replaced, these could blow out the new ICs. Good Luck, and keep us informed of the progress of this repair.

john mcclanahan
Thanks for the reply Larryy. 

Thanks for the reply Larryy.  I'm fairly confident that my connections are good.  I took extreme care, but I'll triple check them all this morning.  Although I'm not sure how much it will help, If it's not too much trouble, I would love to take a look at the schematics.  Please send them to prunier at comcast dot net.  Thanks. 

john mcclanahan
Thanks, Got em.  I checked

Thanks, Got em.  I checked all the connections and theyre good.  I went ahead and disconnected the IC's and the TV now comes on with bad convergence.  Hopefully I can find a local shop with an inventory so I can replace them today.  If I have to reorder online, can you recommend a source for a good quality chip?  Thanks again for the help.  I let out a big sigh or relief when the TV powered on.  -Ed

Larry Dillon
Go to partstore.com and

Go to partstore.com and purchase them. Remember, if the name of Sanyo is not on the chips, they are aftermarket type IC's, and do not forget to put new heat sink compound on the backs of the new IC's before installing them.  Also before you install the new IC's, double check the B+ to the IC's.  Make sure the voltage, the plus and the minus voltages are within a few volts that the manual says they should be.

john mcclanahan
I'm trying to understand the

I'm trying to understand the IC's.  Are there different types, or is a STK392 110 a STK392 110 but different quality.  For example, at partstore.com when I search for STK392 110, one comes up as a Panasonic C5AA00000203 replacement for $46, but it doesnt mention Sanyo.  On eBay, I found a part that says it's original Sanyo I.C. for $10.  I dont mean to belabor this, but I don't want to order the wrong part. 

Larry Dillon
The numbers are the same, but

The numbers are the same, but the aftermarket IC's do not meet the manufacturers specs 100%.  These are really nothing more then analog audio amp IC's used to drive the convergence yokes.  I would be a bit suspicious about the IC's that are suppose to be original Sanyo IC's on E-Bay.  Just look at the price at partstore and you see the difference.  Now you may be able to get them less expensive from another source, but I would only trust an authorized part distributor.

john mcclanahan
I found that the R7059

I found that the R7059 resistor needs replacement.  Can you help me to identify the resistor so that I can order it correctly? I don't this is something I'm going to find at the local radio shack. 

john mcclanahan
sorry, I don't know.  This is

sorry, I don't know.  This is really over my head.  I think I've gone as far as I can go with this.  I do appreciate the help you've given me. 

Larry Dillon
I'm sorry, I do not see this

I'm sorry, I do not see this resistor you are needing. There are no numbers like that in the manual.

john mcclanahan
I wasnt able to find it in

I wasnt able to find it in the manual either.  In your first post of this thread, you mentioned "Also, check the feedback resistors R7043, R7058,R7050,R7553,R7058 andR7059, as these are the feedback resistors to the convergence amp IC's, and if these are bad and not replaced, these could blow out the new ICs"

You were correct and on the board, it's marked R7059.  Anyway,  I think what I"ll do is pull one from the board and bring it into an electronics shop.  I'm pretty sure it's a non flammable type.  It's light blue and marked 2.2 ohms, J which I think is 5% tolerance and 0, 8, 9. 

Larry Dillon
Yes it is in the convergence

Yes it is in the convergence schematic but not listed in the parts list. It is for sure a 2.2 0hm resistor, and if they are blue, that means they are flameproof.

john mcclanahan
Well I haven't given up on

Well I haven't given up on this project.  I finally identified and replaced the burned out resistor and replaced the cheap ICs with Sanyo IC's.  The good news is the TV now turns on but unfortunately the convergence is still off.  More specifically, I can make every adjustment with the exception of the blue horizontal.  I checked the other resistors and they all appear to be functional.  Would the next step be to replace the entire board?  I've come to the conclusion that the TV is not worth replacing the boards so next stop is the dump. 

Larry Dillon
You must have something else

You must have something else open man. Shame to give up now. Double check the R7038,7037,7055,7058,7056 and R 7059

john mcclanahan
Larry thanks again for your

Larry thanks again for your help.  I double checked the resistors, they all check out.  I resoldered the resistor I replaced and swapped the ICs just to be sure that they are not the source of the problem but I still have the same result.  Everything moves with the exception of the blue horizontal adjustment.  I hate to give up but I've tried everything I can think of. 

Larry Dillon
Compare the working IC to the

Compare the working IC to the non working. There must be a voltage missing somewhere.

Bingo
eprunier said: I wasnt able

eprunier said: I wasnt able to find it in the manual either.  In your first post of this thread, you mentioned "Also, check the feedback resistors R7043, R7058,R7050,R7553,R7058 andR7059, as these are the feedback resistors to the convergence amp IC's, and if these are bad and not replaced, these could blow out the new ICs" You were correct and on the board, it's marked R7059.  Anyway,  I think what I"ll do is pull one from the board and bring it into an electronics shop.  I'm pretty sure it's a non flammable type.  It's light blue and marked 2.2 ohms, J which I think is 5% tolerance and 0, 8, 9. 

Hello...

I have the same problem with my panny pt53wx42. I have tried to replace the chips twice with a cheap generic  part from electronix.com. I ended up burst the 2 of the 2.2 ohms resistor. I was wondering whether you can tell me what type of resistor that is, I have trouble getting one. I purchased metal film resistors 2.2 ohms with 2watts, 5% tolerance from online, it is light blue in color but it seems to be a bit larger in size compared to the original, not sure whether it is ok to use them. Please let me know, I will be greatly appreciated...Thanks.

c. Rea
Hey guys

Hey guys

I realize this thread is old, but I've been abroad in Germany and had my panasonic PT-47WX51E in storage. I come back to a convergence problem, where I can adjust blue and green completely fine, and red vertically, but nothing for red horizontally. I've read all through forums and threads for the last few days and read Chris's DIY, and have decided I can handle fixing it myself.

I was just hoping for two things. One, Larry you mentioned possibly having a manual in your "data". Do you think you could email me the manual for my model? I think that the service manual (if it's like the owner's manual) will be the same for the pt-47wx49e that eprunier has.

Secondly, I have read through many different threads, and basically the consensus I'm getting is that I need a Sanyo chip, not an aftermarket. Now, replacing the STK392-110, I just need to decide if I want another STK392-110, the STK394-160e that someone was adamant about, or the STK392-180. I've heard the 180 has better thermal properties than the 110, while the guy advocating the 160 said that was bollocks and that the 160 is the way to go.

ANY help would be appreciated greatly! Thanks!

c. Rea
oops forgot my email

oops forgot my email

rfallt{at}du{dot}edu

franker
I need the service manual as

I need the service manual as well, if possible (I'm just having a red horizontal convergence issue).

my email is v6vywa002 [at] sneakemail [dot] com

thanks!!

Larry Dillon
sorry no manual on this set

sorry no manual on this set BUT replace both IC's at once to make sure you fix any other peoblems that may show up in a month or so.

c. Rea
Hey Larry I have a pretty

Hey Larry I have a pretty interesting one for you. I posted above under the same name, and finally got around to replacing the convergence IC's. I have a friend who is an engineer and I wanted to be sure the soldering was done right. We took the back off the tv, got the old IC's out, and replaced them with the C5AA00000203 Ic's from Part Store.com, I didn't want to skimp on the cheap versions of the chips.

We got the old chips out, new chips in, my friend said he did a great job on the soldering, and put everything back. We turned on the set, and it stayed on.... Great sign. I went into the convergence menu and it was all out of whack, as expected, but when it said "red" adjustment,it was adjusting the green cross instead of red. When it said "green" adjustment, it was still adjusting green. So I replaced all the IC's and for whatever reason I cannot adjust red! It's like signals got crossed somewhere. I am totally dumbfounded as to why I can't get to the red adjustment. Any ideas would be HUGELY appreciated, I hope I didn't waste 4 hours and $100.

sandmanpr
Hi larry

Hi larry
i also have a pt47wx51e tv set which has some issues with the green and red; but i also have a pin cushion effect. could that also be part of the convergence
ic's and if so can i replace my stk392-110 with stk394-160. do you think that i could also have some resistors that are causing the problem? do you know if i go with the stk394-160 do i have to add any thing else to my board? i would really appreaciate your help in this matter. thanks
p.s.
forgot my e-mail: [email protected]

waverave
Hello,

Hello,
I was hoping somebody could email me the manual/schematics for a pt47WX49E?
I read through a ton of posts about replacing the ICs and that seems straight forward enough but I want to make sure the resistors are good while I'm at it.
Any help is appreciated...my email is [email protected].

waverave
Hello,

Hello,
I have read a ton of threads about replacing the ICs and that seems straight forward enough. I want to make sure my resistors are good too and was hoping someone could send me the manual/schematics for a pt47WX49E?
Thanks for your help.

Larry Dillon
sorry we do not have that

sorry we do not have that model number on the download page but yo can get one for under 20 bucks at servicemanuals.net

Handyguy
Hi,

Hi,

I have the same problem on my PT-47WX51C, can someone find the service manual for me? I could not find it on servicemanuals.net.
Much appreciated.

kenmcintosh
I (sadly) recently inherited

I (sadly) recently inherited a Panasonic PT-51DX80 rear projection TV. It worked great until it we moved it. I've read a lot about it, and am proficient with a soldering iron and so forth, so decided to replace the convergence chips myself, using new heatsink compound after cleaning the old off, and making sure my solders were good and there weren't any shorts... at least under magnification jewlers glasses.
Now instead of a screen that you can marry the colors to get a clear picture, there is no picture. I'm almost positive I put all the soft wire harnesses back where they came from, and very sure each snap in part is in the correct place on the board. The chips I bought were from Bluestar international. They weren't expensive, but came with a one year warrany. I haven't tork it back apart to see if maybe the new chips might have blown a cap that was weak or what. So that may very well be my next step
If you might have any ideas please let me know!
Thanks!
[email protected]

ScottSaltz
Greetings,

Greetings,

I am very aware this post is extremely old by now, however i can not find the service manual nor schematics anywhere for the PT-47WX49E model Panny. I actually picked it up very cheap from a friend. He told me if i can fix its mine, so basically he gave it to me. My issue is that i can not adjust the Blue Horizontal convergence and after reading through this and many other places i;m convinced its my ICs and/or resistors. Im a pretty technical guy so this sounds like something i'd be able to tackle. I just dont wanna go at it in the dark. So please if possible Id like to get a copy of the manual/schematics. Thank you very much.

[email protected]

Connect With Techlore