oldie but goodie/RV-5030R

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
nozz
oldie but goodie/RV-5030R

my reciever turns off after like 5-7 seconds.this is a sherwood digilink iii

RV-5030R it is an awesome unit i rescued it from a fire many years ago. up untill now it has been great. i do have a sony kp390t powerd off of it and a video and playstation could this be too much of a load,anyways i unplugged the tv but still has the problem thankz

dans_repair_service
Sounds like the outputs are

Sounds like the outputs are fried.  This is a fairly simple and common repair.  Open up the unit and see what is connected to the heat sink.  Post the numbers here and I'll try to provide a more detailed guide to repair this.

Dan

nozz
Hey dan  not sure what the

Hey dan  not sure what the heat sink is .however, i found two blown fuses

out of four on the main board. replaced them now it works ok.

i told you this is an awesome unit thanxSmile

Larry Dillon
Old recievers like this one

Old recievers like this one had speaker protection fuses.  Now days they use electronics that sens a problem and shuts off the speaker relays. Glad you fixed it.

Mox
Hey guys, I have this same

Hey guys, I have this same receiver, haven't used it in a while, wondering if any of you can direct me to an online manual?

nozz
i dont have one myself.a

i dont have one myself.a remote control would be nice though, i did mate it with one of those all in one control remotes once before but i cant seem to find that one anywhere

nozz
ps: if these guys here at

ps: if these guys here at techlore cant help you with a manual(they found one for me for a tv a while back) you can try a site called fletchersite.com

Larry Dillon
You can order that Sherwood

You can order that Sherwood service manual from HERE.  I think they said it was like 22 bucks or so.  I just saw a 100 watt per channel at ABC warehouse on sale last week end for 74 bucks plus tax.  I bought it for my new room I am building.  It is great sounds great and normally cost 229 .00.  Good Luck with this repair.  Let us know how this repair turns out.

Rich D
I have the same unit and when

I have the same unit and when I plugged in the outlets to my new overhead speakers in my new house - nothing was working, I since purchased a new receiver and plugged them in and this was working fine - however before my move I had everything fully functional and no issues. I then tried the same thing with my Harman / Kardon and the same thing happened - no sound on any of the speakers that I had hooked up. This too was functional prior to my move. I do get a faint sound when raised all the way up. Is there a reset on any of these units that you are aware of and if so where is it located? Or am I better off to just buy another new unit?

Thanks,

Rich

dans_repair_service
This may sound silly, but

This may sound silly, but check to be sure that the tape monitor switch is not on.  Also, you don't say how old the receiver is.  Some of the older units used shorting plugs to connect the preamp with the amp.  Check this too.  In newer units, a bad regulator circuit can cause this.

Dan

Jrm1443
I have the same unit also. 

I have the same unit also.  Just had it repaired as the rear speakers no longer worked.  They said they had to re-solder a connection on the circuit board which went bad due to heat.  Now rear speakers work fine. I have taken out the shorting plugs for the pre-amp/amp conectipon and replaced themm with Y connectors so I can now plug a phono cord in the Y adapter directly to my Sub-Woofer.  Seems to work fine.  Anyone else tried this?  I am wondering if this will cause a problem ebventually?

Larry Dillon
No that is a good Idea! It

No that is a good Idea! It should not cause any problem, as the 9input to the sub I am sure is isolated, and the input side of your amp is also isolated. I have done this many times to connect up slave amps in larger PA systems.

joeyknott
I have the Sherwood RV-5030R

I have the Sherwood RV-5030R that shuts off as well after 5-7 seconds. After reading these comments I pulled the top off and all my fuses are fine. Can someone please help me!?

nozz
double check those fuses they

double check those fuses they are very hard to tell if they are blown.
i checked mine with a magnifying glass.

buffer
I too have an old RV 5030R

I too have an old RV 5030R that is shutting down after 5 seconds. I have read the other entried and will open it up and remove the old fuses. Does anyone know where to but new ones?

Davee
I too have an old RV 5030R

I too have an old RV 5030R which works fine except for the A/B function.
When using the B side the sound occasionally comes from speakers connected
to both the A and B side. Enabling/disabling the A side corrects the problem
temporarily.
I am considering replacing the receiver but hate to do so when the receiver works fine other that this.
Does anyone know if this is a correctable problem?

indexador
Hola chicos no tendriasis un

Hola chicos no tendriasis un manual para conectar un rv-5030r

Daniel13
I also have the Sherwood RV

I also have the Sherwood RV 5030R, it works fine up until you turn the volume up past 20 (out of 100) then it shuts down. Any idea what the problem could be? Thanks for the help.

Larry Dillon
you could have a bad speaker

you could have a bad speaker or perhaps bad driver transistors or bad output transistors. good luck.

Daniel13
Its possible it could be the

Its possible it could be the speakers i've had them since the 90s. However i have no idea what driver transistors are our output transistors. Thanks.

Larry Dillon
it could be the wires also

it could be the wires also check and see if there is anything pinching the wires , disconnect both speakers and turn on the unit turn it up and if it does not turn off when you turn it up. hook up up the unit then disconnect both of the speakers with the wires then try it again if it still does not turn off try the other speaker by disconnect it. if it still works OK check the speakers and wiring by testing the speaker with an ohm meter check and make sure the resistance is no more than 8 ohms then take off the wire off of both speakers and check the resistance of both speakers if it again measures less than 8 ohms with the wires disconnected from the unit and the speakers test the resistance again and if there is any type of resistance the wires are most likely damaged pinched or damaged somewhere if the wires all check out good then the speakers are bad, could be on old speakers like this probably the foam around the woofers are deteriorated and then the voice coil got damaged if the speakers are the problem you can get decent replacements for under 50 bucks or so a pop

Daniel13
It turns out i disconnected

It turns out i disconnected one of the speakers and i could reach maximum volume with one speaker. It works fine. I appreciate the help.

swinternitz
I have the Sherwood 5030R -

I have the Sherwood 5030R - Read the posts above. Recently had to re-setup everything due to purchasing an HDTV. When I re-connected the speakers, the rear speakers will not work. I confirmed it's not the speakers by connecting a rear speaker into one of the front speaker connections and it worked fine. Am guessing it is something with the connections on the receiver. Any thoughts? I also had 5-7 second on then off problem when I first reconnected everything - but now seems to be fine. Should I be concerned? Bigger question is should I update to e receiver that has HDMI ins/out since my new HDTV obviously has this capability (3 HDMIs) as does my Verizon FIOS set-top-box and one of my DVD players. All of these also have Optical connections - although understand these are audio only - so not sure how these help me.

nozz
trough trial and error i once

trough trial and error i once connected a surround sound to this unit
there is no input for the subwoofer but somehow everything worked(no idea which input i connected it to) having moved
since then i can't remember how it was set up so i just have the basic stereo sound right now.I told you these units are awsome:-)

Larry Dillon
once you hook everything up

once you hook everything up and working make a drawing/diagram, on paper and tape that to the bottom or the side of the receiver for future use.
Larry D.

n6lvs
When I fist set my RV5030 up

When I fist set my RV5030 up I disovered that the rear speakers will not work if you have not connected both rear speakers.

bob dieckman
i have a sherwood 5030r

i have a sherwood 5030r receiver bought it new in 1994 its been a real good one about five years ago had to have some work done to it it had some curcites replaced from a power surge that i had in my home it works good but needs the rca input jacks replaced for the audio inputs replaced needs cleaned one of the buttens replaced to the rear leavel on the front cover fixed. do you know if there is a place that i could send it to get that done. its hard to beleave that there are stell some of those old receivers stell out there and stell in working order let me know if you find out anything. thanks bob dieckman

ak7eagle
Ahhh...good times, I bought

Ahhh...good times, I bought my rv5030r , i think 16 years ago. it was when beauty and the beast came out on vhs .it was awesome! It is still in service in the living room upstairs { the newer stuffs in the basement home theater} and still works excellent! many, many hours of enjoyment, Oldie But a greatie!!

bob dieckman
yep i know what you mean

yep i know what you mean bought mine new in 1994 stell have it don,t play it that much its allways done me good stell plays good they don,t make um like they used to will anyway got to get back to what i was working on see ya

jomel147
Great stories about these

Great stories about these units! Speaking of fires...I FOUND my Sherwood rv-5030r in front of a house that had a fire, sitting on the curb, waiting for garbage pickup. I took it apart, used some radio shack electronic cleaner spray, removed all the soot, replaced 2 fuses, and have been using it daily since 2001.

Great unit. I have it hooked up to old school large Yamaha speakers for listening to vinyl, and to a set of smaller speakers and a sub unit for cd listening.

It's a great unit.

ak7eagle
Sorry to say but shes getting

Sorry to say but shes getting bumped out to the garage, My Kenwood's going upstairs now, Just bought a ONKYO 9.2. Tears in my eyes.

Pages

Connect With Techlore