OUR NETWORK: Dijit Community Explore3DTV My Open Router DVRplayground MediaSmart Home See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 394956.0
June 7, 2006 02:31 PM

Categories: Televisions and Projectors

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

dsamms

I have been connecting my laptop to a video projector for presentations.  I worked fine until a few months ago when the video display turned to Black & white--no color.  (I still have color on my notebook monitor)  I have tried everything I know to fix the problem.  New cable, changing resolution, tried a different projector--all with same results.  When I connect via a VGA port, the color shows up on the projector display.  The laptop has been returned to the manufacturer twice for replacement of the system board (which includes the s-video port), but the problem is not resolved.  Any idea?

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-7 of 7 | Latest Comment

June 7, 2006 5:03 PM

If you normally connect the projector via S-video, your cable may have gone bad. Try using a new S-Video cable. If your color returns, there was your problem.

June 8, 2006 7:24 AM

I've already tried a new s-video cable with the same result.

June 8, 2006 10:55 AM

What happens when you wiggle the cable at either end? Does the color flicker on and off?

June 8, 2006 11:02 AM

No, it stays B&W. I've tried "blowing-out" the connections with air, spraying that stuff that's supposed to help with the connection, etc.

June 8, 2006 11:07 AM

I've had 2 extensive sessions with Dell tech "support" (one online, one on the phone) discussing all the things to try. Both sessions ended with their saying my s-video port was bad, and I would have to send it back for replacement.

June 8, 2006 3:54 PM

That's my thought as well. Which is why I asked you to wiggle the S-video cable. If the color flickered in and out, then it there would be a short or problem with the S-video jack. However, I'm not totally convinced it's the output on your notebook. Have you tried testing the S input on your projector by plugging something else into it, like a DVD player or set-top box?

June 9, 2006 4:40 PM

Yes, I have the same result when I plug in to a TV.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-7 of 7 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window