OUR NETWORK: Dijit Community Explore3DTV My Open Router DVRplayground MediaSmart Home See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 8539780.0
March 9, 2006 04:50 PM

Categories: Televisions and Projectors

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

garster59

how do I enter the service mode in the tv with the remote

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 251-275 of 326 | Latest Comment | « Previous 19 10 11 12 13 14 Next »

May 7, 2009 2:49 PM

guywithquestion said: I ordered a new convergence board for my hcl4715 and installed it as per all the information posted. It fixed the convergence problem, except the absence of red on the screen. Does this sound like a loose connection on the new board or something else? Red was working fine before the replacement. Thank you for any help.

Following Larry's advice earlier in the thread, I'd suspect a loose cable.  With power off, double-check each cable (i.e., gently wiggle each connector) that you touched when you replaced the board.   Make sure there are no extra cables not plugged into anything.   Also check the other end of the cables, since they may have been slightly loose when you got started and your board replacement may have made them more loose.  Be sure to check the cables going to the CRTs.

If this doesn't work, another possibility is that you bent a pin when plugging in a connector, for example the one that brings in low voltage red from the main board.

Hope this helps.

May 7, 2009 4:43 PM

Thank you Betajet. I checked each cable and their opposite ends as well as the pins and everything was fine. Any other suggestions? Could the new board be defective?

Thank you.

May 7, 2009 7:26 PM

guywithquestion said: Thank you Betajet. I checked each cable and their opposite ends as well as the pins and everything was fine. Any other suggestions? Could the new board be defective? Thank you.

The board could be defective.  I'm a computer engineer, not a TV expert so you should see if others on the site have advice.

My understanding from the schematics is that the high-voltage board (called SUB in the service manual) controls the horizontal and vertical movement of each CRT's electron beam by amplifying the low-voltage signals from the main board using high-voltage op-amps (those big ICs with the big heat sinks).  If red's op-amp is defective or a resistor in the feedback path is broken, the red beam could be stuck at a minimum or maximum horizontal or vertical position so you can't see it on the screen.  That's just one possible failure mode.

May 7, 2009 8:00 PM

Install the old board back in and see what happens, if you still have no red then you know you messed up somewhere

"Those who do not know their opponent's arguments, do not completely understand their own".**For complete TV repair kits including parts goto www.TvRepairKits.com

May 7, 2009 8:00 PM

Install the old board back in and see what happens, if you still have no red then you know you messed up somewhere

"Those who do not know their opponent's arguments, do not completely understand their own".**For complete TV repair kits including parts goto www.TvRepairKits.com

May 8, 2009 9:53 AM

Larry is right swap it back and then see what happens. I thought I had a simular problem but I later found that I missed one of the cables leading to the crt's. Some times they get caught under the board when they are installed. does the red tube light up in any way? Take the front screen off if you need to. It slides off from the side you will need to dissassemble the front frame. As mentioned before the gun can be stuck to one end of the screen if it is not sweeping.

May 8, 2009 3:11 PM

First, thank you for all of your help. Before I took the new board out I looked at the red tube, it was as though there was a hint of light showing, but not much. So I then put the old board back in and the red tube was fully lit and quite obvious on the screen with the convergence out.

I would appreciate any more advice as what might be the problem and how to proceed. Thank you in advance.

May 9, 2009 10:59 AM

I went ahead and installed the new board again and it worked this time. Thank you for all your help.

May 9, 2009 1:41 PM

If the convergence is OK, take out the convergence board and carefully re solder the IC's on the old board, and return the new board if you can!

May 17, 2009 6:45 PM updated: May 17, 2009 6:54 PM

Lots of good info here.

I replaced the IC that was for the blue/green and the TV works much better. The grids are lined up perfectly in the service mode. However, I'm getting a "rainbow" effect now. There are vertical lines where the color is messed up and redish. It doesn't look anything like the other pictures here where there are 3 seperate pictures that just arn't lined up, it's just a coloring issue. It's more noticable when the screen is freally dark or really light. Is there something else that needs adjusted or could the other IC need replaced as well? A friend of mine looked at it and mentioned de-gausing but I can't find anything in the service manual about it.

Thanks

May 18, 2009 12:51 AM

No a projection Tv does not use or need the Deguassing. Post a picture of what it looks like please.

May 18, 2009 2:55 PM

kinda off topic I am looking for a good forum for hp pavillion 9000 series notebooks. got one for free but it has it's troubles. I have been working on electronics since '82 but I try not to mess with notebooks too much. Any suggestions??

Rescue25

May 18, 2009 7:08 PM updated: May 18, 2009 7:26 PM

May 19, 2009 1:00 PM

Dude these pics are huge you need to make them smaller. but if what you are talking about the wavy vertical lines in the pic I too have that and I was wondering the same thing. I can tollerate it but I thought it may be an AC signal being superimposed over the input. The ones I see are simular but mine are much more distorted into a larger sign wave shape or depending on the day they can show up almost horizontal in nature. Try looking at it with no signal and see if it is still there. if so I would be intrested in that fix as well. but as I stated that in my case I can live with it. I noticed it after I replaced my old board.

rescue25

May 19, 2009 1:30 PM

Yeah, I probably should have shrunk the pics.

It's tollerable but i'd like to fix it if I can.

May 30, 2009 1:28 AM

So i have done the manual convergence. It looks pretty good but there are a few imperfections. I think this may be due to the fact that the perfect focus doesnt seem to be working. When i did it in the service menus after doing the manual convergence it comes up goes all green says perfect focus flickers a couple times and then goes to a bright white/cream color on the entire screen and stays like that until i hit the add/erase button or anything else to get it out of perfect focus. So my question is, should i be worried about this not working? Will it make the convergence look even better? if so, how do i fix this? Thanks for your help

June 4, 2009 5:29 PM

2 quick questions for a bad convergence issue on the Samsung HCL4715W.

1. The convergence board part number is: AA95-01846D?
2. If I replace the whole board do I have to manually adjust convergenece or is it a crap shoot? Sometimes 'yes', someitmes 'no'?

Thanks!

June 4, 2009 7:24 PM

YES!!!!! IT IS A TRAPSHOOTING SOMETIMES YOU Have to adjust some you

June 4, 2009 8:46 PM

So, no one has any feed back about the cause of the discoloration on my TV and how to fix it?

June 25, 2009 9:21 AM

I just replaced the convergence board on my set. when I plugged in and turned back on the picture was shaking and now I get nothing just a couple of clicks and shuts off? Can anyone help?

June 25, 2009 9:49 AM

take out the new board and try it again. If it comes on send back the new board and repair the old one go to tvrepairkits.com for a complete repair kit. this way you should not have to do that much realignment. there will be a little but should not be that much to do.

June 25, 2009 10:52 AM

Larry Dillon said: Is that a DLP SET!!??
No, it's the CRT projection.  Same model that this entire thread is about......

June 25, 2009 10:56 AM

OK,MattRados replace the convergence board or go to tvrepairkits,com and order a repair kit, it is better to repair the board that is in the set

June 25, 2009 11:07 AM

I already did that. There was a major alignment issue that I fixed by replacing just the IC for the blue and I think it also does half the green. But afterwards I was getting the wavy discoloration that wasn't really a misallignment. It might have just been the other chip getting ready to go because yesterday it blew one of the ICs again and the thing is all messed up. I ordered a couple new ICs AGAIN. If it happens one more time this thing is getting the sledge hammer.

June 25, 2009 11:16 AM

you should ALWAYS replace BOTH chips at ONCE!!! Along with any bad resistors.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 251-275 of 326 | Latest Comment | « Previous 19 10 11 12 13 14 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window