There are so many requests from users who visit TechLore.com asking how to unlock a V-chip or a parental lock on a TV set, game console, or other device. I'm sure you've been there; your son, daughter, husband, wife, etc. entered a code into the parental control setting and now can't remember, or you purchased something used that was locked with a code from a previous owner. Either way, now your device is locked down tight, and you need to guess the password in order to use your device.
Most manufacturers have their own ways to manage parental and locking controls on each device, but fortunately most provide procedure to reset these codes so you're not locked out of your product forever. Below I have started a list of the se procedures to unlock many common devices. If you have a device that is not listed here, and you have the procedure to unlock it, you can submit the device and code to the TechLore editors so it can be added to the unlocking list.
Note: Some manufacturers require you to have an original remote controller in order to perform an unlock procedure, but most do not. I've used almost every one of these codes to unlock devices, but have found that some procedures will work on some models, but not on others in any particular make.
A note for parents: If you're wondering what is stopping your child from using the procedures below to circumvent your parental control settings, you can easily verify if your password has been reset. Since the above procedure eliminates the old password entirely, all you need to do is see if your original password still works. If it does, they did not use an unlock code to break the rules. If it doesn't... then they're busted.
Aiwa TV Combos:
With the TV turned on, simultaneously press VOLUME down button on the front of the TV set and the number 7 button on the remote control to reset pin code and customer ID.
Apex TVs use a four digit code to control the v-chip. The override code for many models is 6688. Other sets may not have one, or may have a default code of 1225 instead of an override code.
- To use the override code:
- Hit the MENU key to get to the menus.
- Go down to the SYSTEM menu and hit the right arrow on the remote control.
- Once in the SYSTEM menu, go to PARENTAL GUIDE. It will ask for your code.
- Enter the override code listed above. From here, you can turn on and off different rating restrictions, as well as set a new code.
No matter what the V-chip code is set to, the override code will still work. If you have a blank screen with a red key on the bottom left, simply press the (function or F) button and the mute button at the same time. This will unlock the screen and allow you to view the channel as desired
Dish Network Receivers:
Some boxes can be reset by unplugging the box, and while holding down the power button, plug the unit back into the wall receptacle and then release the power button. Then, let the box do its thing.
Other Dish Network receivers you can reset by first pushing the MENU button, then push "6, 3, INFO, right arrow, left arrow button, TV/VIDEO", then unplug the receiver and plug back in.
GE TV sets:
Most RCA and GE TV sets use a four digit code to control the v-chip. The code reset is different depending on the model. Try each number until you find the one that works for you.
- Hold down the MENU button on the remote and VOLUME DOWN button on the TV it’s self at the same time for at least 4 seconds. The set won't say so, but the lock will be unlocked
- Hold down the 0 (zero) button on the remote and the VOLUME DOWN button on the TV itself at the same time for at least 4 seconds. The set won't say so, but the lock will be unlocked
- Hold down the MENU button on the front of the TV and the TV button on the remote at the same time for at least 4 seconds. 4- Hold down GO BACK button on the remote and MENU button on the front of the TV at the same time for at least 4 seconds.
- Hold down EJECT button on the front of the TV set and the MENU button on the remote at the same time for at least 4 seconds. Depending on the model, one of the methods should unlock the V-chip. Now, if desired, you can change the settings on the V-chip by going to the MENU and going to PARENTAL CONTROLS, or on some sets, going to MENU and then going to TV SETUP, then to V-CHIP SET.
LG (Most sets):
When you are asked for the code, enter 7,7,7,and then 7.
Turn off for 30 mins. Then turn back on and on the front of the unit, NOT THE REMOTE UNIT, press channel up and record together and that should bring the screen back on.
Mitsubishi sets use a four-digit code for a V-Chip locked program, view a locked TV, cancel the lock, or to enter the V-Chip lock menus. You can view the locked shows on the TV set by pressing the number 9 and QV buttons on the remote at the same time, whenever your code is requested. This process temporarily unlocks the TV and asks you to enter a new code.
Simply enter the code 3308
Panasonic sets need to be reset to clear the v-chip settings. To do this, put it in standby mode, then press the POWER and ACTION buttons at the same time and then turn the power off. The set should reset to the factory defaults, and reset the v-chip.
Philips and Magnavox:
Philips sets use a four digit code to control the v-chip. The override code for Philip sets is 0711, although it may say "Incorrect code" the first time to trick you. If "Incorrect code" is displayed, simply enter 0711 again. To use it hit the MENU key to get to the menus. Go up or down until you reach AUTOLOCK or SMARTLOCK, depending on the model, and push the "right arrow" key on the remote. Enter the override code, and enter it a second time if it says it is incorrect.
Once in the AUTOLOCK or SMARTLOCK menu, go to BLOCK, and push the "right arrow" key. Go to BLOCKING OPTIONS and press the "right arrow" key. Go to MASTER DISABLE and press the "right arrow" key so that it says "MASTER DISABLE ON". The v-chip is now reset.
Pioneer Plasma TVs:
Pioneer plasma set use’s a four digit code to control the v-chip. To reset the Pioneer: First put the media receiver in the standby mode, then hold down the CLEAR button and press STANDBY/ON button on the plasma display. The device should now be reset. If you want, you can run an auto install to configure your device. Turn on the power, press MENU, select SETUP on the screen, and press ENTER. If it asks for a secret number, you need to reset the device again and start over. Otherwise, scroll to AUTO INSTALLATION and press ENTER.
When you try to use a DVD that is blocked, it will ask for your code. Press SELECT on the controller. Enter the deletion code 7444 when prompted. You can then set a new lock code. Next, remove the disk and then turn off your PS2.
Simply enter the code 3308
Most RCA and GE TV sets use a four digit code to control the v-chip. The code reset procedure is different depending on the model. Try each method until you find one that works:
- Hold down MENU on the remote and VOLUME DOWN on the TV it’s self at the same time for at least 4 seconds. The set won't say so, but the lock will be unlocked
- Hold down the 0 on the remote and the VOLUME DOWN buttons on the TV its self at the same time for at least 4 seconds. The set won't say so, but the lock will be unlocked
- Hold down the MENU button on the front of the TV and the TV button on the remote at the same time for at least 4 seconds.
- Hold down GO BACK on the remote and MENU on the front of the TV at the same time for at least 4 seconds.
- Hold down EJECT on the front of the TV and the MENU button on the remote at the same time for at least 4 seconds.
Depending on the model, one of the methods should unlock the V-chip. Now, if desired, you can change the settings on the V-chip by going to the MENU and going to PARENTAL CONTROLS, or on some sets, going to MENU and then going to TV SETUP, then to V-CHIP SET.
If you have the original remote (RC-A07) for Sinotec tv, then press and hold down the Music button for about 10 seconds.
Sony LCD TV Sets:
When prompted for the code, enter the master reset code: 4357. This code will reset the master code.
Toshiba TVs and Combos:
Disconnect the AC power for at least one minute to reset the clock.
Adjust the volume to the minimum using the Volume down button on the front of the unit.
Press and hold the Volume down button on the front of the unit and the 0 button on the remote control at the same time, holding them down for at least 10 seconds.
The user menu will appear with the V-Chip cursor blinking.
Press the ENTER key on the remote control and the NEW PASSWORD menu will appear.
Enter your new password.
For further assistance, I recommend contacting our Customer Solutions Department at 1-800-319-6684. They are available Mon-Fri, 8AM to 7PM Central time."
CherryBoo to the Rescue!
The V-Chip is bypassed by holding the zero key on the original remote hand unit, and at the sane time holding down the volume down on the front of the TV set. This should reset the oide so you can enter a new one.
Most Symphonic TV's and VCR's:
When you are prompted to enter an access code, enter 0000
To reset the X-Box code, go to the settings screen from the dashboard. From there, go to PARENTAL CONTROL. Instead of entering the code, press the following button combination: X, Y, LEFT TRIGGER, X, you will then enter into the PARENTAL CONTROLS screen where you can set a new code, or disable the parental lock.