< <
OUR NETWORK:Dijit Community Explore3DTV My Open Router DVRplayground MediaSmart Home See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Understanding Sony Television Blinking Codes

Many of the later model Sony TV’s have a built in self-diagnosis function. If the timer/standby indicator is blinking, this could be an indication of a problem with the unit. The diagnostic blinking will occur automatically with no action required by you to engage it.

The timing of the blinking you see would be as follows: two to nine blinks, (depending on the fault), about a third of a second apart, then a pause for 3 seconds, then the two to nine blinks about a third of a second apart again.

Here is a list of the problems that might have occurred indicated by the number of blinks. The words in parentheses are those, which you will see for each of these faults on a diagnosis screen described later in this article.

• Unit is dead, No blinks - Problem in the standby power section. Might check fuse, R607, Q601, IC601, R612 and VDR601 (should show open).
  • Continuous blink once a second, no pausing - No reply from the jungle IC301 (data bus is busy, shorted to ground, or held high), IK video path is defective.
  • One blink - not used for the self-diagnosis
  • Two blinks - B+ over current protection (OCP), unit goes to the standby mode then displays the 2 blink fault. Could be a short in the power supply of any of the circuits.
  • Three blinks - B+ over voltage protection (OVP), unit goes to the standby mode then displays the 3 blink fault. This is also a problem in the power supply circuit, check T603 and R672.
  • Four blinks - No vertical Deflection (V STOP), Screen goes to a single horizontal line then the video signal muted. Check IC1509, Q1505
  • Five blinks - AKB circuit (automatic kine bias), the timer/standby indicator blinks for about 30 seconds then goes to the self-diagnosis function. Something is wrong with the video. Check video out, Q705, 732, 761 and other components on the C board, also check Q218, 219, 220 on the A board. In addition, unit could be in IK blanking, try turning up screen slightly.
  • Six blinks - No Horizontal (H STOP), no raster, goes to the blinking self-diagnosis function immediately. Check C515 & 516 and the jungle IC, IC206.
  • Seven blinks - High voltage shutdown. The high voltage has exceeded 33k and the unit goes immediately into safety shutdown. Check power supply regulation and horizontal circuits.
  • Eight blinks - Problem with the audio (AUDIO), unit goes to standby and blinks the self-diagnosis code. Check IC406 audio amp, PS401, and 402. On some projection models of Sony TV sets, this code means that T8005 (flyback transformer), or the associative components in the high voltage circuits are defective on the D board.

• Nine blinks - Replace D 6116 and D 6301 on the "G" board, do not resolder as this will fix the problem temporary. Or Panel Module Error or Thermal Error. If it is intermittent 9 blinks, meaning sometimes the TV comes on and other times you get flashing, then change the switching regulator on the "G" board or check connections. Make sure the regulator is -12 or -13 (negitive).
  • Ten blinks - Check Q8014 and Q8013 for shorts, leakage, or bad solder connections on the " D" board. If the transistors are bad, check R8051 and IC8005, also on the "D" board.

Intermittent problems? This is a great feature. You can also bring up these fault codes on-screen to see a list of the problem numbers with the abbreviation of the problem and the number of times this problem has occurred. This is slightly different than entering the service mode. To see the diagnostic screen, press the following buttons: Display, Channel, 5, volume Minus, ( not plus ) then Power. This brings up a screen with a list of the problems and number of times they have occurred. Each of the problems named, are abbreviated as, "OCP", "OVP", "V STOP", ETC. We have repeated them in parentheses in the text for the "Blinks" described above so you can correlate between the diagnostic screen and the blink codes.

Now that you know about these self-diagnostics, how do you use them? Say that you have a set with a black screen. You see that the LED is blinking four times. This would tell you that you have no vertical sweep, which is why the video is muted. If it was blinking 6 times, you would know that you have a horizontal fault. It's not a sure cure..

IMPORTANT: After you repair the unit, you MUST clear the values on this diagnostic screen. These codes do not reset themselves after the fault is corrected, so if you don't clear them, you'll be seeing "old" fault codes the next time you enter this screen. Clearing is done by going into the service mode (display, channel, 5, volume plus, then power ). Press 8 and Enter, which returns everything to the factory preset condition.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-25 of 732 | Latest Comment | 1 2 3 430 Next »

August 23, 2008 12:50 PM

Where can I get a visual or a description of the Q8014 or Q8013 of the SONY Rear Projector TV?

August 23, 2008 11:29 PM

I read that you have access to repair manuals for Sony TVs. I have a friend that has a Sony KP-57WS500 that quit working (No picture, and it turns itself off 5 seconds after after turning on). Do you have an eloctronic version of the manual? If so, would it be much trouble to e-mail it to me at garth3902@yahoo.com. Any help would be appreciated.

August 25, 2008 8:57 AM

What happened to all the previous comments in this thread?

I came back to get some info from 2 of them and it's all been cleared out.

This forum has been helpful to me in deciding how to handle my Sony problem and also in guidance choosing its replacement.

August 25, 2008 11:00 AM

whT info are you looking for?. AS far as I know techlor does not "clean' OUT files

"Those who do not know their opponent's arguments, do not completely understand their own".**For complete TV repair kits including parts goto www.TvRepairKits.com

August 25, 2008 7:02 PM updated: August 25, 2008 7:05 PM

My Sony Vega is doing the blinking thing, It blinks like normal on statup but only has audio- then turns itself off. After that it gives me 10 blinks- with no audio and repeats 10 blinks over and over untill I turn it off. I got it to work for me later in the day, picture and audio. Now the red light blinks 5 time while watching it. Is there any way of doing a reset? Or someting. I am going to leave it on till I find out whats wrong.

Thanks

View unverified member's comment - posted by samuel obeng

View unverified member's comment - posted by samuel obeng

September 12, 2008 9:31 AM

Can anyone guide me to wat to do next in troubleshooting my sony plasma tv...it juz went on standby mode and when i try to switch on, it blinks 6 times..wat am i suppose to do next...??
thanx for any help available..cheers...

View unverified member's comment - posted by RickyG63

View unverified member's comment - posted by bjones

October 7, 2008 3:30 PM

YOU HAVE BEEN OF GREAT HELP. THANKS

October 7, 2008 3:32 PM

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. IT'S GREATLY APPRECIATED.

October 10, 2008 6:54 PM

Plenty of posts and solutions to your questions at agoraquest.

October 13, 2008 7:39 PM

We have a sony kdf-55xs955, rear projection LCD TV.

When I turn on the TV the picture comes on for about 30sec. to 1 min. then the picture goes off and the standby light(green) flashes continuously for approx. 30sec and then the pictures comes back for 30sec. to 1 min. and the pattern starts over. thanks for any help available.

October 13, 2008 11:26 PM

sounds like a problem in the light circuit, maybe a bad bulb?, or maybe a bad ballast circui?, mayb epower supply, many thing can cause this, it will need io be cheked out by measuring voltages, no really commen fault I have ran across, now maybe some other Sony tech has seen this problem?

October 15, 2008 12:28 AM

I have a sony 36XBR800 and when I turn it on it clicks a couple of times. The standby light blinks 4 times. I have a service manual and I couldn't find the IC's listed here in the manual. Do these IC's have a different part number ?

Thanks!

View unverified member's comment - posted by skysoldier

October 17, 2008 8:07 AM

what model number do you have, thre are a ton od 54" sony' out there!!

October 17, 2008 2:39 PM

Hi my tv it have code 10 Blinking. Audio is normal but No picture, I want to Know what the problems of it My TV Model:KP-FX432. How it can Repair?

October 22, 2008 1:45 PM

need instructions on how to repair continuosly blinking green light on model ws65515 mitsubishi 1080 series 65 inch screen

October 22, 2008 7:42 PM

I need model number of the set as well as an e-mail address

October 25, 2008 10:16 PM

I have a Sony trinatron BRX model kv-34br910. The color has no red hues.When I try to adjust the color all I get is either yellow or green. It is also in warm mode. I need to know if this is a costly repair? Or should we just get another tv?

October 25, 2008 11:22 PM

could be a fault int h crt driver board, or a bad picture tube,

October 26, 2008 10:35 AM

Larry Dillon said: could be a fault int h crt driver board, or a bad picture tube,
Are they costly to repair   ?

October 26, 2008 2:29 PM

pictur tub yes around 450 or so , s crt driver board, about 100 bucks or so for s dealer to do it as it is a replacement board.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-25 of 732 | Latest Comment | 1 2 3 430 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window