< <
OUR NETWORK:Dijit Community Explore3DTV My Open Router DVRplayground MediaSmart Home See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Can't Finalize Disc in Sony DVD Camcorder

A TechLore "Ask the Experts" Question...

Question:

I have a Sony DVD-300 camcorder. The disc (DVD-R) was removed before it was finalized. Is there a way to save this disc or is it junk? I tried to finalize it, but I get a "not ready" message.

-submitted by pinkydog

Answer:

According to Sony, you should be able to finalize a DVD-R disc at any time, even if it was removed and reinserted into the player. Sony recommends that you have the camcorder connected to an AC outlet when finalizing discs. It is also notable that the finalization procedure varies depending whether or not the disc contains static images taken with the camcorders photo mode.

Sony has provided the following procedure to follow for finalizing DVD-R discs:
  1. Connect the AC adapter to the digital video camera.

2. Plug the AC adapter into a working wall outlet.

3. Turn on the digital video camera.

4. Press the SETUP button.

5. Press the UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW button to select DISC SET.

6. Press the ENTER button.

7. Press the UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW button to select FINALIZE.

8. Press the ENTER button.

9. If still images are recorded on the disc, press the UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW button to select PHOTOMOVIE CREATE.

10. Press the ENTER button.

11. Press the UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW button to select EXECUTE.

12. Press the ENTER button.

13. Press the UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW button to select YES.

14. Press the ENTER button.

15. When the finalizing completion message appears, press the SETUP button.
Given that these steps are properly followed, Sony has noted that it is possible there may not be enough space left on the disc to perform the finalization procedure. If this continues to happen with many different discs, you may need to send the camera to Sony for service.

Matt Whitlock - Editor, TechLore.com

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-15 of 15 | Latest Comment

October 2, 2008 3:54 AM

Hi,

What Sony says is all junk. Here are a few questions for you to ponder upon.

1. Was it working before? If it was, then most probably your disk is already junk.
2. If not, and it's your first time doing this, then Sony FAILED to mention that you need to FORMAT the disc first before you can do anything. If you did not format it, you can still record and view on the camcorder but you CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT finalize it, whether via USB, Ulead, or whatever software you can think of.

November 25, 2008 10:35 AM

Another Question;

I used to have the dvd camcorder and haven't finalised all my discs.Now the camcorder is gone and i'm left with lots of unfinalised discs...
Is there any possible way for me to finalise these discs via any software on computer or an accurate way for accesing the videos recorded on these discs without the camcorder?

December 6, 2008 11:51 PM

December 6, 2008 11:52 PM

I have a similar problem with the Sony RDR GX300 in that I removed a recorded disc before I finalized it. Is there a way to save this disc? Right now when i put it in the player after attempting to load it results in "Disc Error".

January 15, 2009 9:19 PM

Hey guys, i have the same problem. I removed the cd from the SONY camcorder and get a message saying disk not finalised when i try putting it in another player or back in the sony camcorder. Then when I try to finalise it, it wont give me the option to do. I desperately need to retrieve the movie on the CD because it is from my brothers wedding! :( It wont play at all - I can see the disk is full but cant access the movie at all or finalise it. I have read articles already the disk may not have enough space on it to finalise but how can i check this? I hope that is not the case anyway so any advice you can give is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Zeena

January 16, 2009 7:18 PM

hey did anyone find anny solution I have the same problem

March 12, 2009 9:49 AM

If your camera works and can playback the unfinalized dvd, you can plug it into a dvd recorder plugged to a TV. You will have to tape the movie onto a blank dvd on the dvd recorder. Then you will have the finalize option on the dvd recorder. You finalize the movie and it will play on a pc which you will then be able to edit and make your movie. I am using imovie and it works beautifully. I am using a sony camcorder dcr-dvd 203 and a sony dvd recorder with a hard disk.
hope this could help.

May 3, 2009 4:12 PM

hi I am trouble with my sony dvd camcorder,
after using my dvd+rw disc i erased it on my pc but when i put it back into the camcorder it comes up Disk Error Unsupported format. Can any help me thanks

June 10, 2009 1:03 PM

I lost my camera while on a trip and have several disk to finalize. Can anyone help me? I've seen it done on a computer but have no clue how to do it myself!

July 19, 2009 10:11 PM

I have DVD-R sony disc, that will not finalize.I found somthing called ISOBUSTER that you can download, and retreive lost videos. Has anyone tried the ISOBUSTER?

January 3, 2010 3:50 AM

Hey ISOBUSTER worked. Thanks Jane...

View unverified member's comment - posted by upul

View unverified member's comment - posted by aloy

View unverified member's comment - posted by rschlgn

View unverified member's comment - posted by GAJENDRA SHREENET

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-15 of 15 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window